Based on recommendations today from our local and state health departments, we are cancelling all worship services and events at Green Street United Methodist Church for this Sunday, March 15, and all large events during the week following.
While there are no reported cases of COVID-19 in our area, as a Christian community, we need to do our part to slow the spread of coronavirus and assure our health systems are better able to cope with this world-wide pandemic.
The large events that are cancelled during the following week are:
1. March 16, Monday evening Scouts;
2. March 17, Tuesday evening Community Meal;
3. March 18, Wednesday morning gathering within the church of Fresh Food Initiative recipients. Morgan Johnson, the Director of this program for United Way, is working on a drive-thru system to distribute this food. If you are a volunteer in this program, please contact Morgan if you have questions (269-945-4010; firstname.lastname@example.org).
Smaller groups that meet within the church during the week are not cancelled. However, the leaders of those groups should communicate directly with their participants regarding the status of their meetings.
While we are apart physically we can stay connected spiritually. Please pray for one another and stay tuned for periodic updates. And we can stay connected electronically. Please check our website (greenstreetumc.faith/media) early next week for the March 15 audio sermon.
This is a time for faith, not fear, and a time for exhibiting extreme love toward others through our thoughtful actions. We are in good hands! For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
Rev. Bryce Feighner, Pastor
Green Street United Methodist Church
209 West Green Street
Hastings, MI 49058
P.S. The following are recommendations from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) for COVID-19 specifically for faith-based organizations:
1. Identify safe ways to serve those who are at high risk or vulnerable through outreach and assistance.
2. Encourage staff and members to stay home when sick and to notify the organization of illness.
3. Communicate and reinforce best practices for washing hands and covering coughs and sneezes.
4. Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, like doorknobs, keyboards, cell phones, and light switches.
5. Ensure hand hygiene supplies are readily accessible.
6. Implement social distancing measures as feasible.
7. Reduce in-person gatherings and activities, especially for organizations with individuals at risk of severe illness. Consider offering video or audio of events.
8. Determine ways to continue providing support services to individuals at risk of severe illness while limiting group settings and exposures.
9. Avoid large gatherings (e.g., greater than 100 people in a shared space) or move to smaller and staggered gatherings.
10. For organizations that serve high-risk communities, cancel gatherings of more than 10 people.
209 W Green St, Hastings, MI 49058, US
09:00 am – 03:00 pm
Sunday Service 9:30 am
The Worship Center, Gathering Place, Offices, and Education Wing are all handicap accessible when entering through the northwest door.
Sign up to receive our newsletter!
Copyright © 2018 Green Street United Methodist Church, MI
Sunday Worship 9:30